The tribe has spoken. The 10 most-Liked designs are out! I’m referring to my affirmation quotes magnet project ðŸ™‚
(Scroll down to see which they are.)
What is my affirmation quote magnet project about?
I started my affirmation quotes magnet project because inspiration hit one day (in the program of CoDependents Anonymous, it probably was Higher Power stuff). I posted a little paragraph on Facebook, along with shortlisted designs which would potentially make good magnets. You can take a look at it here.
If you have been following my posts, you’d know that I have been struggling financially. There is a price to dysfunctionality (and recovery in regards to mental health), and this time it is in a literal sense.
So the intention was 2-pronged:
- Spread affirmation, motivation, empowerment, inspiration, love and healing to others who need it
- Help myself financially via the sales of the magnets
It also helps that I enjoy doing this. I’ve a newfound enthusiasm revolving around this little project.
I’m really new at selling things online, so I have been wracking my brain to get it altogether:
- sourcing for suppliers/vendors (printers, mailing materials, other misc items)
- how many items to produce
- what platform to sell the items
- viability (cost; eg. for Shopify, there is a monthly subscription involved)
- online security
- payment gateways
- packaging, if any
- price for each item
- costings in terms of weight vs shipping
Soooooo much to think about!
Why sell affirmation quotes?
I think that there are a lot of posters, graphics, memes that go around, on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook. I started my Instagram account solely to cross post the quote graphics I created for my post on 10 Things To Say and Not To Say To Someone With Depression.
I’ve a background in art and design and found great joy in expressing myself creatively on Instagram.
After posting the initial graphics, I’ve since used Instagram as a visual diary of sorts.
I also look at how popular quotes are being shared on Social Media, and think to myself: maybe one day, that will be me, one day someone will want to share my quote posts… And true enough, most recently, someone did ðŸ™‚ You can see her post here.
So just like how quotes exist in the virtual world, I thought, why not bring them into the physical world? People need affirmation, motivation, empowerment, inspiration, love and healing when they’re not on their phone on computer too!
Everyone has a fridge at home. And that is where we we go when we want some food. So my hope is that every time you go to your fridge, you will see these reminders!
- When you’re feeling down and go to the fridge for a pick-me-up, or when you’re happy and want to celebrate with food, you’d see an affirmation. Every time you walk past your fridge, you’d be given a dose of empowerment or inspiration. That is my hope.
- I mean, these can be stuck on any metal/magnetic surface — be it a fridge, metal locker, whiteboard, etc etc etc… ðŸ™‚ And they’re not permanent too, unlike stickers. Change ’em up, remove them, the choice is yours.
- Another cheesy reason is that I love magnets. Things that people find cliche — like photo frames, mugs, keychains, magnets — gimme gimme! Hahaha…
The final 10 revealed
So these are the 10 most-Liked designs. I reached out on Social Media and got people to Like the designs that they favoured. Even my therapist participated! And voila, I present to you… the final 10.
Even though these are the ones chosen, you can still place your Like(s) on the designs. Because for every Like received, I will be personally sending you a coupon code when they’re up for sale. Go here to see the Facebook album with all the shortlisted designs.
Where will the magnets be sold?
I researched things like WooCommerce, Shopify, Etsy…
WooCommerce = A free plugin to be used with WordPress websites (which is what this site is running on)
Shopify = An out-of-the-box online store with a monthly subscription (3 different price tiers to choose from)
Etsy = an online market place for mostly, but not limited to, handmade and vintage items
I thought to just install the WooCommerce plugin, since it’s free, why not? But realise sensitive information may be hacked or stolen (especially credit cards or any financial details), I was not confident about having an e-commerce section on my own website. BUT… good news (and yes, I see this as the Universe providing), my very dear webhost — I need to blog about them soon — will be rolling out FREE SSL certificates!
So in the meantime, while I wait for this to unfold, I will be putting the magnets for sale on Etsy. My Etsy store has not been set up yet, but am learning a ton from their Seller Handbook.
If you’d like updates on when the store is up and ready for pre-orders, you can…
- Sign up on my mailing list (blog post updates) — if you’re on desktop, you’ll find it on the top right; if you’re on mobile, scroll to the bottom to find it
- Like my Facebook Page
- Follow me on Twitter
- Follow me on Instagram
I am working hard to make this possible for Christmas, because I think it’s a great season to share love, affirmations, motivation, goodwill, the list goes on…
I am thankful for all who have taken their time to place their Likes. Do look out for my PM/DM with the coupon code discount.
I am also thinking of extending this project as a means of income, and not have it end here. I was thinking of either creating designs just for sale, or like what I’ve done, take designs from my actual posts.
If you have any suggestions for me (e-commerce advice, quote designs, etc), or any thoughts on my affirmation quotes magnet project, please leave your comments below. I’d love to hear from you!